The MMTA presented longtime industry leader Larry Russo Sr. the Frank Farrell Distinguished Service Award. Larry grew up in the recreational boating industry and has had a legendary career that has spanned nearly 60 years. After Russo Marine was acquired by MarineMax in 2016, he remained as Senior Vice President of MarineMax Northeast.
The award is in honor of the late Frank Farrell, co-founder of the New England Boat Show in 1957 and was instrumental in the formation of the MMTA in 1964. He became the first full-time executive director of the MMTA in 1975, a position he held for more than 25 years. Larry Sr.’s father, John Russo, was a founding member of the MMTA in 1964.
“To say Larry is deserving of this award would be a clear understatement based on the accomplishments and impact he has made in the recreational boating industry here in Massachusetts and nationally”, said Randall Lyons, executive director of the MMTA.
“I’m honored and proud to co-present this award to my dad," added Larry Russo Jr. "His life-long commitment to improving the business of boating has truly made our industry better for all involved."
Some of the key leadership roles that Larry has held over the years include the following:
- MMTA Board of Directors 1977 to present. MMTA President 1983-1984
- MMTA President Boston In-Water Boat Show 1992-2014
- MRAA Board of Directors 1982-1995. MRAA President 1988-1989
- RBFF - Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation Board of Directors 2002-2007
- NMMA Grow Boating Dealer Quality Task Force Chairman 2004-2006
- MRAA Marine Industry Dealership Certification Inc. Chairman 2006 -
- Sea Tow Safety Foundation Board of Directors 2008-2014
- Grow Boating, Inc. Board of Directors 2012-2020
- NMMA/MRAA BoatPac Board of Directors 2017 –
- Recipient - MRAA - Irv Rosenthal Leadership Award - 1991
- Recipient - NMMA – Hammond Leadership Award - 1997
- Recipient - MMTA – Marine Industry Advocate Award - 2007