The MRAA Educational Foundation has kicked off the 2018 application process for its six scholarships and the Darlene Briggs Marine Woman of the Year Award, at MRAA.com/Foundation. Included in those six scholarships is a new scholarship to help support dealership apprenticeship programs, our Marine Apprentice Technician Scholarship.
The award and scholarships, which will be presented during the Marine Dealer Conference & Expo, Dec. 9-12 in Orlando, Fla., are intended to financially assist the professional development of those working in the marine industry. The deadline to submit a scholarship or award application or nomination is October 12th.
Retail Members of the Marine Retailers Association of the Americas and their employees can now complete online applications for the Kevin Lodder Scholarship, Duane Spader Leadership Development Scholarship, Marine Apprentice Technician Scholarship, and the Marine Industry College Scholarship. Women from throughout the boating business are eligible to be nominated or apply for the Darlene Briggs Woman of the Year Award. Marine Trade Associations that are members of MRAA can apply for the foundation’s Marine Trade Association Scholarship.
This year, the MRAA Educational Foundation updated the Marine Technical School Scholarship by directly awarding scholarships to enrolled students in approved marine trade schools in lieu of directly to trade schools.
“The MRAA Educational Foundation’s scholarships are ever evolving to promote a stronger workforce for our dealerships to meet the needs for our industry’s future,” said Jeff Siems, MRAA Educational Foundation President. “By promoting education within our industry, we are enabling individual marine professionals, the businesses they work for, and the industry, as a whole, to prosper.”
A nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization, the MRAA Educational Foundation has handed out more than 80 scholarships and awards collectively worth more than $190,000 over the past 15 years.
Click the links below to learn more about each of these offerings and to nominate or apply:
- The Kevin Lodder Scholarship covers the tuition and provides a travel stipend for the recipient to attend Spader Business Management's Total Management 1 Workshop.
- The MRAA Educational Foundation's Marine Trade Associations Scholarship provides financial support to their members for technical training.
- The MRAA Technical School Scholarship is designed to provide financial support to a current student attending an approved marine trade school.
- The Marine Apprentice Technician Scholarship is a new scholarship that covers expenses related to apprentice technicians attending manufacturer factory training.
- The MRAA Educational Foundation presents, annually, the Darlene Briggs Woman of the Year Award. This honor is presented to an outstanding woman who is actively involved in the marine industry.
- The Duane Spader Leadership Development Scholarship, established in 2013, covers the tuition for the recipient to attend Spader Business Management's Leadership Development Program.
- The Marine Industry College Scholarship, established in 2016, is intended to financially assist the training and education of those working in or planning for a career in the marine industry at an accredited college, university or post-secondary technical school.
Donations from independent donors and corporate partners make all scholarships provided by the MRAA Educational Foundation possible. To learn more about donating, or to find more information about the MRAA Educational Foundation, visit www.MRAA.com/foundation.