The winners of the 2016 Innovation Awards were announced at the annual Industry Breakfast Tuesday.
The Innovation Awards honors achievement in product development in 13 areas of the marine industry. Winners were selected by a panel of judges from Boating Writers International (BWI), a professional organization consisting of writers, editors, publishers, photographers, broadcasters, public relations specialists and others in the communications profession associated with the boating industry.
“Every year IBEX is honored by the number of submissions to the Innovation Awards and 2016 was no exception with 85 entrees. We would like to thank Alan Wendt and all of the BWI judges for participating in selecting the award winners,” said Anne Dunbar, IBEX show director. “These Awards highlight the importance of innovation for our industry, and IBEX is honored to recognize the companies who continue to create dynamic new products.”
Alan Wendt, Chair of the Innovation Awards and Past President of Boating Writers International, said, “Two of the industry’s biggest growth categories, tow boats and pontoons, were well represented with products to enhance the enjoyment and manufacturing process.”
The 2016 IBEX Innovation Award winners are:
- Boatbuilding Methods & Materials: BANOVA, 3A Composites Baltek Inc.
- Deck Equipment & Hardware: Dual Winners–Roswell Marine, Triton Board Rack; T-H Marine Supplies, Snapflex LED Stern Navigation Lights
- Furnishings & Interior Parts: Kenyon International Inc., Texan Grill with IntelliKEN Touch Control
- Mechanical Systems: XYLEM, Rule Bilge Pumps
- Electrical Systems: Mercury Marine, Electronic Steering Helm
- Inboard Engines: Volvo Penta, Easy Drain
- Outboard Engines: Honda Marine, BF6
- Propulsion Parts, Propellers: Mercury Marine, VesselView Mobile
- Boat Care and Maintenance: Pettit Paint, SeaGold
- OEM Electronics: Dual Winners–Garmin USA, Fantom 6; Sounds Inc., SYN-DX 6-DSP
- Environmental Award: Fireboy-Xintex Inc., CG / MA and GA 3M Novec 1230 Fixed Fire Extinguisher
The panel of judges for the 2016 Innovation Awards includes
- Alan Wendt (Chair): Past President of Boating Writers International and contributing writer for Lakeland Boating & Southern Boating, Yacht Rendezvous Event Planner for manufacturer based customer cruises.
- Zuzana Prochaska (Co-Chair): 100 Ton USCG master, SAIL Magazine charter editor, freelance writer and photographer for 15 marine and travel titles, international speaker.
- Gary Reich: Editor-at-Large, Chesapeake Bay Magazine; Contributing Writer, Anglers Journal, PassageMaker Magazine, Soundings, and Lakeland Boating Magazine.
- Frank Lanier: Marine surveyor and contributor to Practical Sailor and Southern Boating.
- Craig Ritchie: Contributing Writer to Boatguide and Boating Business magazines, which serve the Canadian market – along with trade titles Boating Industry, Boating Industry Canada, Marine Business (Australia) International Boat Industry (global) and The Naval Architect, the official journal of the Royal Institute of Maine Architects.
- Peter Robson: Former editor and current contributor to Pacific Yachting, contributor to Canadian Boating Guidebooks.
- John Wooldridge: Writer, editor, and photographer in recreational marine journalism since 1977. He has had the opportunity to fish, cruise, and dive global waters, in small boats andlarge yachts, and reported on those experiences to readers of regional, national, and international magazines.
- Capt. Lou Gainor: Nautical Talk – Northeast Radio Host, Experienced Coastal Cruiser