WILMETTE, Ill. – Boating Writers International (BWI) is now accepting submissions to its 12th Annual Writing Contest, which recognizes excellence in boating and fishing journalism, the association reported in a recent release.
The contest has expanded to encompass 14 categories, which makes the contest applicable to the broadest spectrum of boating and outdoor writers and makes available $19,000 in cash awards that will be paid to 42 winners in 2005, the association stated. First place receives $500, second $300 and third $200.
All winning stories are entered into a "Phase II" competition which culminates in a single selection honored with the West Marine Writer's Award and $5,000 prize at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show in the fall of 2005.
You do not have to be a BWI member to enter. Details about the contest are posted on the homepage of www.bwi.org, where a click-thru directs to a downloadable PDF image of the contest brochure, rules and entry form.
Last year, the BWI contest attracted 149 journalists submitting a total of 429 published entries. Deadline for entries is December 31, 2004.
The 2004 list of categories and sponsors include (new categories noted with an *):
1. Boating Columns - sponsored by KVH Industries, Inc.
2. Boating Lifestyles - sponsored by CAT Marine Power
3. Boating Profiles* - sponsored by Interlux Yacht Finishes
4. Boating Travel or Destinations - sponsored by Bear Enthusiast Marketing Group
5. Boat/Engine Care and Maintenance - sponsored by Starbrite
6. Electronics - sponsored by C-MAP/USA
7. Ethics and Environment - sponsored by BoatU.S. Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water
8. Fishing - sponsored by Suzuki Motor Corporation
9. Consumer Issues, News and Analysis* - sponsored by Mercury Marine
10. The Business of Boating* - sponsored by Home Port Marine Marketing
11. Seamanship, Rescue & Safety - sponsored by Sea Tow Services International
12. Technical Writing - sponsored by Dometic Corp. - Environmental (Cruisair, Marine Air & Tundra)
13. Boat Tests - sponsored by Yamaha Marine Group
14. Gear, Electronics and Product Tests - sponsored by Airmar Technology
BWI members are allowed four submissions to the contest without charge; non-members can enter the contest at $35 for each submission ($35 is the same cost as an annual Active membership in BWI). Each category will be judged by four active journalists in the first few weeks of the new year. Cash awards and presentation plaques are presented to the winners at the Miami International Boat Show in February, 2005.
BWI is a non-profit professional organization consisting of writers, broadcasters, editors, photographers, public relations specialists and others in the communications profession associated with the boating industry.
- For more of the latest news, click here.