California’s Division of Boating and Waterways invites public and private marina owners to apply for a Federal Boating Infrastructure Grant now through Aug. 3, 2018. California BIG projects received $1.7 million in the previous grant cycle.
BIG is a competitive program open to both publicly and privately owned marinas to renovate or construct docks, restrooms, gangways and dockside utility hook-ups for visiting or transient recreational boaters with vessels 26 feet or greater in length.
The BIG Program is intended to:
- Enhance access to recreational, historic, cultural and scenic resources;
- Strengthen community ties to water’s edge and economic benefits;
- Promote public/private partnerships and entrepreneurial opportunities;
- Provide continuity of public access to the shore;
- Promote awareness to transient boating opportunities.
In 2018, a total of $8 million is available for BIG projects nationally. BIG is funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife, Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program.
Applicants should first review the federal guidelines and application instructions to determine if they meet the necessary requirements.
Marina operators eligible to compete in this program should contact Lisa Fernandes or call (916) 327-1819.