The MRAA Educational Foundation has kicked off the 2017 application process for its five annual scholarships, as well as the Darlene Briggs Marine Woman of the Year Award.
The award and scholarships, which will be presented during the Marine Dealer Conference & Expo, Dec. 10-13 in Orlando, are intended to financially assist the professional development of those working in the marine industry. The deadline to submit a scholarship or award application is Sept. 30.
Retail members of the Marine Retailers Association of the Americas and their employees can now complete online applications for the Kevin Lodder Scholarships, Duane Spader Leadership Development Scholarship, ABYC Scholarships and the Marine Industry College Scholarship. Women from throughout the boating business are eligible to be nominated or apply for the Darlene Briggs Woman of the Year Award. Both Marine Technical Schools and Marine Trade Associations that are members of MRAA can apply for the MRAA Technical Scholarships.
“While the number of scholarships offered has grown dramatically over the years, the MRAA Educational Foundation has been contributing to the creation of a bigger, stronger and smarter workforce since its inception in 2004,” said Liz Walz, MRAA vice president and MRAA educational foundation executive director. “By providing funding for education, the foundation lifts up individual marine professionals, the businesses they work for and the industry as a whole.”
A nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization, the MRAA Educational Foundation has handed out more than 70 scholarships and awards collectively worth more than $170,000 over the past 14 years.
The below offerings are available for those who would like to nominate or apply:
- The Kevin Lodder Scholarship covers the tuition and provides a travel stipend for the recipient to attend Spader Business Management’s Total Management 1 Workshop.
- The MRAA Educational Foundation’s Technical Scholarships are awarded to Marine Technical Schools that train students for careers in the marine industry and to Marine Trade Associations that provide financial support to their members for technical training.
- The MRAA Educational Foundation annually presents the Darlene Briggs Woman of the Year Award. This honor is presented to an outstanding woman who is actively involved in the marine industry.
- The Duane Spader Leadership Development Scholarship, established in 2013, covers the tuition for the recipient to attend Spader Business Management’s Leadership Development Program.
- The ABYC Scholarships, established in 2014, cover the tuition for one recipient to attend ABYC’s Introduction to Basic Marine Electric Corrosion Protection and for another recipient to attend one of ABYC’s Certification Courses.
- The Marine Industry College Scholarship, established in 2016, is intended to financially assist the training and education of those working in or planning for a career in the marine industry at an accredited college, university or post-secondary technical school.
Donations from independent donors and corporate partners make all scholarships provided by the MRAA Educational Foundation possible. To learn more about donating, or to find more information about the MRAA Educational Foundation, visit www.MRAA.com/foundation.