U.S.-based manufacturers were recognized with two category wins and three honorable mentions at the second annual Boat Builder Awards, held Thursday at the National Maritime Museum in Amsterdam in conjunction with the annual METS trade show.
More than 280 delegates attended the gala ceremony, which recognizes excellence in boat building, design and marketing in eight different categories.
The evening began with Sea Ray being named winner in the Best Retail Marketing Initiative category, recognizing its campaign around the launch of its SLX sportboats. Quicksilver was recognized with an honorable mention in the same category.
A little later in the evening, Apex, NC-based Blue Gas Marine was named as the winner of the new Environmental Initiative Award for its work in developing natural gas as a fuel option.
The Innovative Onboard Design Solution award was won by Ferretti Yachts, with tow boat manufacturers Mastercraft and Malibu each receiving honorable mention in a hotly contested category.
The evening concluded with the presentation of the Lifetime Achievement Award to Sunseeker International founder Robert Braithwaite, CBE.
The full list of winners by category includes:
Best Retail Marketing Initiative
- Winner: Sea Ray
- Honorable Mention: Quicksilver
International Distributor/Dealer Development
- Winner: Axopar
- Honorable Mention: Galeon
Boat Builder and Equipment Manufacturer Collaboration Solution
- Winner: Azimut Benetti / Rolls Royce, for AZP C65 thruster
- Honorable Mention: Lewmar, NV Equipment and Beneteau
Innovative Onboard Design Solution
- Winner: Ferretti Yachts, for launch of submersible garage on Ferretti 850
- Honorable Mention: MasterCraft, and Malibu
Production Process Award
- Winner: Vripack, for virtual reality software.
Environmental Initiative Award (new this year)
- Winner: Blue Gas Marine, for development of natural gas fuel options
Best Apprenticeship and Training Scheme Award
- Winner: Berthon
- Honorable Mention: Sunseeker, and Pendennis