The National Marine Manufacturers Association announced Tuesday a new format and release schedule for the 2015 U.S. Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract, which contains thousands of data points and insights on the boating industry. Each section of the Abstract will be released individually as the statistics are available, making this critical industry data much more timely and valuable.
“NMMA’s annual Statistical Abstract is the most comprehensive collection of industry data available and a trusted source for recreational boating statistics—our revamp of the format and corresponding release schedule makes the data even more valuable because it’s now timelier and therefore much more useful to the industry,” said Thom Dammrich, NMMA president. “With the data being available immediately after it is gathered and analyzed by our team, the industry can utilize it to better understand our changing industry.”
The first section report to be released is an 11-year look at outboard engine sales trends: NMMA Outboard Engine Sales Trends 2004–2015. This report is now available for download by NMMA members here. Members must be logged in to NMMA.org to access the report.
Highlights from the outboard engine report include:
- Outboard engine retail sales were up 8.7% in 2015, reaching a post-recessionary high.
- Growing demand for high-powered engines was reflected by a 23.2% increase in average horsepower.
- Outboard engines are a leading indicator for boat sales – four out of five new boats sold are outboard-engine propelled. (A similar report on boat sales will be available in May).
- Detailed information on total dollar sales, units sold, average prices, and top 20 states can be found in the complete report, with historical data trending.
Below is the release schedule for the Statistical Abstract’s remaining data sections:
- March: Sailboat Sales Trends
- April: Pre-owned Boat Market; International Exports/Imports
- May: Cruiser, Watersport, and Off-shore Fishing Boat Sales Trends; Powerboat Sales Trends; Total Industry Sales by Category and State
- July: Total Boat Registrations
- August: Full Report
NMMA members receive unlimited complimentary access to the digital versions of each section as they’re available in addition to the full compilation report, which will be released in August. Print editions of the full report are available for $200 for NMMA members and can be pre-ordered now.
The 2015 U.S. Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract is also available for purchase by non-NMMA members. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to order the report(s) and get immediate access to pertinent boating industry market research.