After failing to block this year’s Miami International Boat Show, the village of Key Biscayne has filed a new lawsuit to try to keep it from coming back.
Earlier this week, the village sued Miami-Dade County, claiming the county violated its development rules when approving the boat show for Miami Marine Stadium Park and Basin, the Miami Herald reported.
This is the third lawsuit filed by the village in an attempt to block the show. Its suit against the city of Miami is still pending, while a lawsuit filed against NMMA was dismissed by a judge late last year.
NMMA was not able to comment on the suit Friday, a spokesperson said.
According to the paper, the village’s new suit says the area is designated by the county for “parks and recreation” use and the show violates that designation as a commercial event. With the show being held at the Miami Marine Stadium site, the public is excluded from using the area, the suit says.
Key Biscayne Mayor Mayra Peña Lindsay told the paper that there is no need for the event to use public waterfront: “There are many, many venues in Miami-Dade County where they would do extremely well,” she said.
The show moved to Virginia Key this year because of long-term construction planned for its previous home at the Miami Beach Convention Center.
Boat show organizers have repeatedly said that no other venue in Miami was large enough to handle the entire show.
“Any other locations that we used would have required the show to be broken up amongst two or three other locations,” NMMA president Thom Dammrich said last fall. “And I don’t mean broken up like it was where we have almost everything in the convention center and we had boats over at Sea Isle. It would have been boats in one location, accessories in one location, engines in one location, in-water boats at another location.”