LOUISVILLE, Ky. – At the International BoatBuilders' Exhibition & Conference (IBEX) Industry Breakfast this morning, judges from Boating Writers International announced winners of the 2015 IBEX Innovation Awards.
The Innovation Awards program recognizes significant contributions in marine industry innovation and product development. The winning products were selected from 90 entries by a panel of experienced technical boating journalists from Boating Writers International (BWI). IBEX runs through Thursday at the Kentucky Exposition Center, Louisville, Ky.
"We thank Alan Wendt and all of the BWI judges who did a terrific job on identifying the most innovative products on display at this year's IBEX Show," said Anne Dunbar, IBEX show director. "We congratulate all of the winners and all of the companies who participated in this year's Innovation Awards program."
"This year we received an overwhelming amount of IBEX Innovation Award submissions, a signal that our industry remains focused on new product development and recognizes the importance of innovation in driving new sales," notes Thom Dammrich, president of the NMMA. "We are honored to recognize these companies as they help bring attention to the dynamic new products being offered across the marine industry-products that are showcasing boating's place as a leading recreational activity."
The 2015 IBEX Innovation Award winners are:
- Boatbuilding Methods & Materials: Xtreme Tower Products/Marine Accessories Corp., Mixed Media Parallel Hinge Tower
- Deck Equipment & Hardware: Dowco, Easy-Lift
- Furnishings & Interior Parts: Syntec Industries LLC, Elage
- Mechanical Systems: Termodinamica SRL's, Termodinamica VRV10
- Electrical Systems: Bocatech Inc.; BT1 5LEDSW-B
- Outboard Engines: Attwood Corporation; MotorGuide X5 with VRS
- Propulsion Parts, Propellers: Mercury Marine; Flo Torq SSR-HD
- Boat Care & Maintenance: Reverso Pumps Inc.; Automatic Outboard Flushing System
- OEM Electronics: Simrad-Navico; Halo Pulse Compression Radar
- Honorable Mention: OEM Electronics: Medallion Instrumentation Systems LLC; Malibu Surf Band
- Environmental Award: Blue Gas Marine Inc.; Natural Gas Hybrid-Fuel System
The panel of BWI judges for the 2015 IBEX Innovation Awards includes:
- Alan Wendt, Lead Judge, is president of Boating Writers International, a writer for Lakeland Boating and marine industry marketing consultant.
- Zuzana Prochazka, Co-Chair, is a freelance writer and photographer with regular contributions to over a dozen sail and power boating magazines and online publications, and has been a nine-year member of the board of Boating Writers International.
- Roger Marshall has written eighteen books (one a best seller) and hundreds of magazine articles, and is a former chair of the Innovations Award committee and a former member of the DAME awards committee for the METS show, as well as past president of BWI.
- Roger McAfee contributes regularly, on a freelance basis, to Pacific Yachting, Sea Magazine, Lakeland Boating, Southern Boating and, occasionally, to ShowBoats International. He is the chair of the judging panel for Pacific Yachting's "Best In Show" awards at the Vancouver International Boat Show.
- John Page Williams, senior naturalist for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, reviews powerboats and writes about fishing, natural history and environmental issues for BOATING & Chesapeake Bay Magazines.
- Mike Vatalaro serves as executive editor of S. Magazine, focusing on new products, fishing, and video production. He spends most of his spare time on the waters of the Chesapeake Bay with his family aboard their 24-foot center console.
- Gary Reich is the previous editor at PropTalk Magazine and the managing editor of Waterway Guide. His writing and photography have been published in PassageMaker Magazine, Soundings, Yachting Magazine, Chesapeake Bay Magazine and Lakeland Boating, among others.