Singapore – World Ocean Council (WOC) announced the draft program for the Sustainable Ocean Summit (SOS) 2015, the 3rd global ocean business community conference on responsible ocean industry operations.
From November 9-11, 2015, the international ocean business community representatives will gather in Singapore to advance leadership and collaboration in developing industry-driven solutions to ocean sustainability challenges.
“Sustainable Development and Growing the Blue Economy – the Next 50 Years” is the theme for SOS 2015.
In 2015, Singapore celebrates its 50th anniversary, with 50 years of growth linked to the global ocean economy. The Sustainable Ocean Summit brings the diverse ocean business community together in Singapore in 2015 to reflect on the progress and challenges of ocean economic development during the past 50 years and plan for the next 50 years of Blue Growth, sustainable ocean economic development and responsible ocean business opportunities.
The draft SOS 2015 conference program includes the following proposed sessions:
- Ocean Sustainability Investment and Innovation Opportunities
- Ocean Executive Forum
- SOS Site Spotlight: Singapore and the Blue Economy
- Ocean Futures: New Ocean Ventures in the Next 50 Years
- Sector Spotlight 1: Marine Mining – Opportunities and Challenges for a New Ocean Industry
- Sector Spotlight 2: Offshore Oil and Gas – Improving Interaction on Environmental Challenges Across the Entire Value Chain
- Regional Spotlight: SE Asia and Coral Reefs – Responsible Ocean Industry Operations in the “Coral Triangle”
- Ocean Policy and Governance: Creating an Informed and Engaged Ocean Business Community
- Marine Spatial Planning/Ocean Zoning: Ensuring that Ocean Planning Engages Ocean Industries
- Sound and the Marine Environment: Creating a Global, Multi-Industry Approach
- Marine Debris: Reducing the Industry Input of Plastics and Other by Ensuring Adequate Port Reception Facilities
- BioFouling and Invasive Species: Understanding and Addressing a Global, Multi-Industry Issue
- Smart Ocean-Smart Industries: Industry Data Collection to Improve the Understanding of the Ocean, Weather and Climate
- Sea Level Rise/Extreme Events: Port and Coastal Infrastructure Adaptation and Resiliency
- Enhancing the Ocean’s Roles as a Carbon Sink: The Business Case
- Arctic: Business Leadership and Collaboration for Responsible Artic Development
- Fisheries and Extractive Industries: Understanding the Interactions and Resolving the Conflicts
- Rig Decommissioning and Vessel Recycling: Exploring the Synergies
More detailed information on these topics will be available soon and a call for abstracts announced in mid-May. The final SOS 2015 program will reflect the level of interest in these topics. New topics may be added based on expressions of interest from the ocean business community.
SOS 2015 will bring together a wide range of ocean industries, including: shipping, oil and gas, fisheries, aquaculture, tourism, offshore renewable energy, marine mining, ports, dredging, submarine cables, marine science/technology, biotechnology, the maritime legal, financial and insurance communities, and others.
The SOS 2015 registration site will open in mid-June. Conference space is limited so attendees are encouraged to register early to secure a place at this multi-industry event.