IGY Marinas announced that it will be hosting its summer 2017 annual philanthropic initiative, Inspire Giving through You, on June 10. This is the second part of the company’s annual global community outreach series, which will once again bring together IGY Marinas’s corporate staff, marina associates, Anchor Club Strategic Partners, yacht owners, captains and crew members for a day of supporting the local communities where the company operates.
“We are looking forward to this summer’s Inspire Giving through You community outreach events, as they allow us to team up with multiple participants from our industry and beyond to gain better exposure for the charities and entities we are seeking to support. Getting the industry excited about improving their communities not only benefits the nonprofits, but also the destinations as a whole. This ultimately improves the quality of life in the region bringing more travelers to the area, more voluntourism and more economic impact,” said Tom Mukamal, CEO of IGY Marinas.
The summer 2017 Inspire Giving through You community outreach events will benefit the following charitable organizations in the United States and Latin America:
- Gainesville, Fla. Santa Fe River’s mission is to protect the waters and lands supporting the aquifer, springs and rivers within the watershed of the Santa Fe River by creating awareness to the ecological impacts that the organization has on preserving the environment. IGY’s corporate IT office and engineering partner, Applied Technology and Management, will join forces for a three-mile cleanup project in order to help sustain the river and its ecosystem.
- Montauk, N.Y. – Montauk Chamber of Commerce strives to elevate the village of Montauk by supporting networking receptions, special in-market events, attractions and more. Volunteers from Montauk Yacht Club, the Marine Patrol and the S. Coast Guard will come together to improve the aesthetics and environment of Montauk Harbor in advance of the community’s annual "blessing of the fleet" ceremony.
- New York Harbor – Camp Homeward Bound is a program launched by the Coalition for the Homeless that provides neglected and abused children with a summer getaway filled with educational and recreational programs to help encourage teamwork and self-expression. Volunteers from North Cove Marina at Brookfield Place and Newport Yacht Club & Marina, along with the Coalition for the Homeless, will focus on improving the aesthetics of the camp, with a cleanup project and plans to repair the infrastructure and prepare the facility¹s swimming areas for camper use.
- Panama Bahá'í Rojas is an educational institution that strives to provide higher learning resources and programming to the Ngöbe-Buglé children of Bocas del Toro in Panama. Red Frog Beach Marina volunteers will be supporting the facility by collecting donations for school supplies and plans to outsource a laptop and Wi-Fi.
- Petersburg, Fla. Tamp Bay Watch strives to preserve the delicate ecological balance that exists in Tampa Bay through a variety of habitat restoration and protection activities to help the bay recover from its environmental problems. The volunteer team from Maximo Marina will partner with the organization to educate the community about the environmental impacts through a recycling and shore cleanup project.
- South Florida – Jack & Jill Children’s Learning Center is an educational institution for children of high-need working families that offers family strengthening programs and tools that help the entire household succeed in life. Volunteers from One Island Park – Miami Beach, IGY’s Fort Lauderdale corporate office, Maritime Professional Training, National Marine Suppliers, Bahia Mar Yachting Center and Lauderdale Marine Center will work to enhance the facility¹s outdoor play area by relocating planters, planting a vegetable and fruit garden, pulling and relocating bushes, and revitalizing the school’s butterfly garden.
- Washington D.C. / Maryland – Central Union Mission provides rehabilitation programming, food, shelter, career services and more to individuals that suffer from addiction and homelessness in order to help them become productive members in society. National Harbor Marina and its group of volunteers will participate in the organization¹s daily breakfast session, helping to feed the homeless and create a sense of unity within the community.
IGY Marinas’s South Carolina corporate office will also be participating in the company’s summer efforts, with plans to announce their charitable organization soon.
To sign up for any of the locations regarding the Inspire Giving through You marinas initiatives, visit www.igymarinas.com/igy-gives-back-signup-form.
For more information on how to participate or to make a donation, contact Kay Mellinger at KMellinger@IGYMarinas.com. For more information on IGY Marinas or its collection of marina destinations, visit www.IGYMarinas.com.