NMMA Board ends redirection of Grow Boating assessments

CHICAGO — In a special meeting on June 1, NMMA’s Boat Manufacturers Divisional Board agreed to end the 85 percent redirection of Grow Boating assessments to manufacturers, according to a release from the group. The change will be effective July 1.

In effect, the assessment on engines purchased by boat builders will be temporarily reduced by 85 percent through Dec. 31, 2010, with the remaining 15 percent dedicated to funding Grow Boating efforts. There will be no change in the assessment on loose engine sales.

In October 2008, the NMMA Board of Directors approved an 85 percent redirection of Grow Boating assessments to the manufacturer to support short-term sales promotional efforts in response to the economic downturn. The remaining 15 percent of the assessments went toward funding Grow Boating efforts, namely the Discover Boating marketing campaign.

During the next few months, the Grow Boating Board of Directors will develop a new marketing strategy based on current market research, NMMA reported. The process will include conducting an agency search and working with the selected agency on a campaign and strategy proposal.

The research and marketing campaign proposal is expected to be ready by fall of this year.

“This will allow the industry to determine next steps on potentially revamping its national Discover Boating campaign, including a date for the full re-launch,” according to the group.

“It will be critical for our industry to make a decision on how to move forward with the Grow Boating Initiative and a national Discover Boating campaign as we look to rebuild coming out of the recession,” said Thom Dammrich, president of Grow Boating and NMMA. “The U.S. population is expected to grow 50 percent over the next 40 years, providing the industry with opportunity for growth if we can effectively promote the boating lifestyle on a consistent long-term basis.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *