Marine Marketers of America announced the winners of its 2016 Neptune Awards for Marine Marketing Excellence during the Miami International Boat Show Industry Breakfast on Friday.
“Marine marketers gave us their best for this year’s highly competitive contest,” said Wanda Kenton Smith, president of MMA. “There was a wonderful variety of submissions and participating companies, from small businesses to global corporations, from in-house marketing teams to boutique and full-service agencies, representing all aspects of the industry.”
The annual competition, now in its ninth year, was open to any organization producing and publishing marine industry marketing materials between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2016. In total, 30 marketers from throughout the marine industry were involved in the judging process. The field drew 99 entries in 16 categories covering all areas of marketing, from national magazine ads and newsletters to video, product literature and diversity initiatives.
In addition, 10 honorable mentions were presented to companies whose submission scored within a prescribed range of the category’s winning entry, a first in Neptune history.
“The quality of the work proved that 2016 was a great year for innovation and creativity in the boating marketplace,” said Sally Helme, MMA vice president and Neptune Awards chairperson. “The Neptune Awards are judged on the basis of marketing excellence with a variety of criteria and benchmarks for each category. This year, many categories were hotly contested, evidenced by the addition of 10 honorable mentions. Also, as this year’s results clearly reveal, every company – no matter its size – had an equal chance to win.”
2016 Neptune Award Winners included:
- Best Advertising Series: Hell’s Bay Boatworks, “Skiff Life” Series; created by Markham & Stein
- Best Advertising Spread: Hatteras Yachts, “Motoryacht”; created by Adventure Advertising
- Best Single Page Advertisement: Boston Whaler, “Core Confidence”; created by Dino Publishing
- Best Brand Promotional Video: Boston Whaler, “Outrage Family Launch” Video; created by Dino Publishing
- Best Brand Promotional Video Series: Simrad, “Go with Confidence”
- Best Event Marketing or Sales Promotion: Volvo Penta, “A New Direction of Fun” Campaign; created by Cramer Krasselt
- Best Product Literature: The Moorings, Product Brochure
- Best Social Media Campaign: Grady White, “Night Before Christmas” Video; created by Adams and Longino, and Buzzadelic
- Best Web Advertising-Banner Ads: Volvo Penta, “A New Direction of Fun” Campaign; created by Cramer Krasselt
- Best Web Advertising-Native Advertising: T-H Marine, “Churning News and Making Waves”; created by Bevelwise
- Best Website: Boston Whaler; created by Dino Publishing
- Best Print Newsletter: Kadey-Krogen Yachts, “Waypoints”
- Best Digital Newsletter: Boston Whaler, “Navigator”; created by Dino Publishing
- Best Marketing Innovation: Nautique, “Launch of Super Air Nautique GS20”
- Best Diversity Initiative: RBLC New Markets Task Force, “Proven Strategies for Engaging New Markets”
2016 Neptune Award Honorable Mention recipients included:
- Advertising Series: Bayliner, “Experience the Evolution” Series
- Brand Promotional Video: Galeon, Promotional Video; Created by MarineMax
- Brand Promotional Video Series: Volvo Penta, Boating Challenge
- Event Marketing or Sales Promotion: Mercury Marine, 2016 Mercury Edge
- Print Newsletter: Yamaha Watercraft, “Prosales”
- Product Brochure: Hatteras Motoryacht and Sportfish Brochures
- Social Media Campaign: Yamaha Watercraft, “My Yamaha Memories”
- Web Advertising-Banner Ads: Regal Boats, 2016 Web Campaign
- Web Advertising-Native Advertising: Volvo Penta, “A New Direction of Fun”
- Website: Chaparral Boats
Winning entries and images may be viewed at www.marinemarketersofamerica.org.