Indmar Marine Engines announced Friday the expansion of the Raptor Series portfolio to now include the Raptor 460 that offers 453 lb.-ft. of torque with big block power in a small block package. The addition of the Raptor 460 provides consumers with performance at a price point alternative. In addition, Indmar says the Raptor 460 fulfills customer demand and the void left by the larger displacement engines that are no longer produced.
The Raptor 460 is built on the current Ford and Indmar platform to maximize performance and efficiency. Indmar stated that the 460 has raised a few eyebrows with people thinking the company has resurrected the old Ford 460. However Indmar says this is not the case; the company says the Raptor 460 has less displacement, it’s lighter, more powerful and has better fuel economy then Ford’s legacy 460.
The Raptor 460 is based off a Ford Tough 6.2L 16-Valve SOHC V8 engine with dual-equal variable cam timing that was designed, engineered, built and torture-tested by Ford, the same engine that powers the F-150 F-Series Super Duty Trucks.
The Raptor 460 features a high torque intake manifold and high horsepower throttle body borrowed from Ford’s GT-350. Indmar’s engineering team topped it off with free flowing tuned 5” exhaust and inline spiral flow muffler.
Low backpressure and an LED lighted cover are just a few of the features added to this edition of the Wake and Jet Raptor Series 460. The Jet Series has been designed with a single point drain and is available with the following jet options: Hamilton, American Turbine, Berkeley, Dominator, Legend and Scott Water Jets.
With five engine configurations, Indmar says the Raptor Series has the durability and capability to accommodate all boating activities on a wide variety of vessels.
Here are a few of the Raptor Series advantages, according to Indmar:
- Low RPM performance with best-in-class torque and horsepower at lower rpm ranges (2,500-3,500).
- Up to 20 percent more fuel efficient.
- Closed cooling helps maintain consistent engine temperatures contributing to better fuel economy and performance. Also prevents crank case condensation, ultimately eliminating corrosion leading to a longer engine life. Provides improved cabin heater performance.
- Dual spark plugs provide for more efficient combustion leading to increased fuel economy, reliability, cleaner emissions and more power per liter displaced.
- Tow-sport specific marine oil pan and pick up tube is designed to optimize oil pick-up at steep boat angles and high G turns. The purpose built marine oil pan takes away the worry of oil starvation by controlling how the oil moves around while towing all watersport disciplines.
- In efforts to make boating easier for the driver, Indmar has added a suite of monitoring systems that enables the high-capacity ECM to reduce operator workload, as well as react precisely to driver commands, called the Raptor Performance Management System (RPM).
- The overhead cam engine design coupled with a cast iron engine block and exhaust manifolds makes for an engine that runs smoother and quieter.
- The combination of high-strength cast iron manifolds and our ultra quiet stainless steel tubular catalyzed exhaust is better at containing heat allowing the catalyst to perform with greater efficiency producing exhaust emissions that are better than the required 4-star rating.
- The standard closed cooling system makes winterization easier with self-draining manifolds and fewer components requiring water drain. With the accessible remote mounted oil filter, quick-drain oil system and hi-mounted oil fill, routine maintenance is simpler. The hi-mounted alternator, flame arrestor and fuse/relay box are accessible at the top of the engine and under the engine’s beauty cover for extra protection. Dual, long-life spark plugs, not only improve combustion but also extend the spark plug service life to 300 hours.
- Indmar’s 5-step paint process, e-coated components and special coatings on non-paintable components keep the outside of the engine looking like new. The inside is protected by a standard, anode protected closed cooling system so there is no contact with corrosive environments. Components that do come in contact with corrosive environments are made of brass, copper stainless steel or cast iron to ensure longevity.
For more information on the new Raptor series, contact Natalie Carrera at firstname.lastname@example.org.