The Northwest Marine Trade Association is organizing a career fair from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 30 at the Seattle Boat Show featuring more than 30 local marine-related businesses with about 400 full-time positions, plus many seasonal ones.
Attendees at the Career Fair will be given free admittance to the boat show for further networking opportunities. The show opens at the conclusion of the career fair at 11 a.m. and runs until 8 p.m.
Last year’s career fair featured twice as many exhibitors as the 2015 fair and three times and many job seekers attended.
“The recreational marine industry is experiencing great growth. Other affiliated businesses – local boat builders, yacht outfitters, boat yards and more – are experiencing similar growth, creating many job opportunities,” said the NMTA in a statement. “The immediate openings are for all facets of business such as sales, customer service, administration, some seasonal, but most of the need and open positions are for skilled marine technicians, experienced mechanics and skilled laborers (fiberglass work and repair, welding, glazing, rigging, painting).”
More than 30 local marine-related businesses will be in attendance as well as the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding and Seattle Central College. Participating companies include:
- Fluid Motion (Ranger Tugs and Cutwater): 15 full-time positions including assembler, fiberglass laminators and welders.
- Westport Shipyard: 50 full-time positions including welders, fabricators, plumbers, electricians, mechanical installers and laminators.
- Emerald Harbor Marine: Five full-time positions including boat yard work, marine electronics and electrical.
- West Marine: 25 positions including sailboat Rigging assistants, product specialists, cashiers and sales associates.
- Lake Union Sea Ray: Five full-time positions including mechanics, detailers and sales.
- Seattle Boat Company: 10 full-time and 40 seasonal including dock attendants, sales assistants, detailers, fork lift operators, service/parts assistant and sales.
- Pacific Fiberglass: Five posiions including painters, fiberglass and gelcoat techs.
- Port of Seattle anticipates filling more than 200 jobs in 2017 in a variety of positions with all different types of background/experience requirements.
For a complete list of participating companies, visit
The Seattle Boat Show will be held at CenturyLink Field Event Center.
To enter the building, job fair participants will go up the stairs located between the CenturyLink Event Center and CenturyLink Field. A map of this location is available at www.seattleboatshow.com/job-fair.