North American boat builders enjoyed a strong presence in Amsterdam on Wednesday night, winning three of seven categories in the METSTRADE 2017 Boat Builder Awards for Business Achievement.
Brunswick Boat Group, Correct Craft and Campion Marine were each called to the podium and applauded by approximately 300 industry representatives under the glittering dome of Amsterdam’s National Maritime Museum’s central courtyard.
This third edition of the Boat Builder Awards received its largest field of entries yet from right across the globe and several of the categories were closely contested.
The evening led off with the presentation of the award for the Best Retail Marketing Initiative, sponsored by RAI Amsterdam. Mettawa, Ill.-based Brunswick Boat Group was proclaimed the winner in this hotly-contested category for its Mercury Marine Go Boldly video campaign, which focuses on the experience of boating and water sports. The award’s judging panel, consisting of an international panel of boating trade representatives, was impressed with what it described as Brunswick’s fresh and modern approach to marketing.
The Boat Builder International Dealer/Distributor Development category, sponsored by Lumishore, was too close to call, resulting in the judges presenting joint winner awards to Orlando, Fla.-based Correct Craft and English yacht builder Fairline Yachts.
Both companies were commended for taking two very different but similarly successful paths to improving their sales networks. In another highly competitive category,
Kelowna, Canada-based Campion Marine was named winner of the Environmental Initiative, sponsored by UCINA, for its use of environmentally-friendly construction materials and processes. Judges lauded Campion’s pioneering approach to reducing its environmental footprint through the adoption of sustainable manufacturing practices and eco-friendly materials.
Organized by IBI magazine and RAI Amsterdam, the METSTRADE Boat Builder Awards were created in 2015 to recognize individual and team successes within the global boat building industry across the eight categories of business achievement.
“The Boat Builder Awards was conceived to champion the vision and dedication of the people that build boats today and the great efforts they are making to ensure the marine industry continues to provide the right products for its current and future customers,” said IBI editor and chair of the Boat Builder Awards judges, Ed Slack. “Our winning and shortlisted companies this year provided brilliant examples, not only of individual excellence but also the great results that occur when teams and businesses work closely together.”
The evening concluded with the presentation of a Lifetime Achievement Award to Princess Yachts co-founder, David King, recognized for his more than 50 years of achievement in the boating industry.
“You really do me a great honor in giving me this award, thank you so much. But I should offer thanks for the people who have really earned this award for me. Firstly, the skilled and dedicated workforce of Princess Yachts. Secondly, our dealers who have always been cheerful, optimistic and show us the way forward. Thirdly, our suppliers, without whom we would not have a business – so many times they have shown us how to do things, got us out of a hole, advised us and supported us through really tough times,” said King. “It is I who should really honor you, for allowing me to spend a lifetime enjoying myself. It’s been hard work made easy by being among friends in a great industry.”
The full list of category winners and honorable mentions include the following:
- Retail Marketing Initiative (Sponsored by RAI Amsterdam) Winner: Brunswick Boat Group Shortlisted: Azimut Yachts Shortlisted: Dominator Yachts
- Boat Builder International Distributor/Dealer Development (Sponsored By Lumishore) Joint Winner: Correct Craft Joint Winner: Fairline Yachts
- Boat Builder & Equipment Manufacturer Collaborative Solution (Sponsored By Ultraflex) Winner: Multiplast And Groupe Bénéteau Honourable Mention Torqeedo And Zodiac Nautic Group Shortlisted: Naviop And Ferretti Shortlisted: Next Four Solutions And Inha Works
- Innovative Onboard Design Solution (Sponsored By Fusion) Winner: Sunseeker International Honourable Mention: KM Yachtbuilders Shortlisted: Inha Works Shortlisted: Ferretti Group
- Innovation In A Production Process (Sponsored By Dometic) Winner: Bavaria Yachts Shortlisted: Azimut Yachts
- Environmental Initiative sponsored by UCINA Winner: Campion Marine Shortlisted: Eco Sail The World Shortlisted: The Hinkley Company
- Best Apprenticeship Scheme (Sponsored By Marine Resources) Winner: Sunseeker International Shortlisted: Nobiskrug Shortlisted: Ta Shing Yachts
- Lifetime Achievement Award (Sponsored By Side Power) David King, Princess Yachts