Torqeedo’s new FP series of electric motors was declared the overall winner at the gala 2016 Design Award METS, presented during the annual Breakfast Briefing Tuesday morning just before the official opening of the world’s largest marine equipment trade show.
The multi-national panel of award judges were impressed with the Torqeedo, size and weight, described as the smallest, lightest and most economical sailboat propulsion system to date. The 8 horsepower-equivalent motor is said to weigh less than 35 pounds while its quiet, eco-friendly design recharges while under sail, offering economical convenience.
Additional category winners included:
- Marine Electronics And Related Software – Winner: Airmar technology, DX900+ MultiLog
- Interior Equipment, Furnishings, Materials, And Electrical Fittings Used In Cabins – Winner: BCM Illuminazion, Jolly Roger
- Deck Equipment, Sails, And Rigging – Winner: Harken Air winch with performance optimization gear sets
- Marina Equipment, Boatyard Equipment And Boat Construction Tools And Materials – Winner: TruDesign Skin Fitting Installation Tools
- Clothing And Crew Accessories – Winner: Zhit Pty Avlare
- Life Saving And Safety Equipment – Winner: Securitag SAS
- Machinery, Propulsion, Mechanical And Electrical Systems And Fittings – Winner: Torqeedo FP series
Equipment manufacturers in 26 different countries submitted a total of 117 entries into this year’s awards.
“The fact that we nominated so many products this year illustrates the high quality of the items that were presented to us,” said Bill Dixon, DAME award jury chair. “It was also very encouraging to see a wide variety of entries, even within individual categories, submitted by the smallest firms to the largest marine businesses from right across the globe.”
The 29th METS runs through Nov. 17 at the Amsterdam RAI Convention Centre, the Netherlands.