Industry mourns former Wayfarer Marine owner

Sandy McGaw, a former owner of Wayfarer Marine and a Lyman-Morse employee has died after an accident in Florida.

McGaw, 58, was killed in a motorcycle/car accident on January 17 while on vacation in Florida, the Penobscot Bay Pilot reported.

"It was with great sadness that the Lyman-Morse crew heard the news that a member of our family, our friend and colleague Sandy McGaw passed away on Sunday, January 17 after a tragic accident while on vacation in Florida," the company said in a statement. "Sandy was a positive force and a gentle soul who loved life and looked forward to his future with his wife Missy. Our hearts go out to Missy, his son Mac, his daughter Maggie and both of their families at this very difficult time."

McGaw was part owner of Wayfarer Marine prior to its sale in 2008. He remained with Wayfarer as general manager before retiring in 2011, but returned to the company when it was acquired by Lyman-Morse in 2015.

"Sandy always had his customers' best interests at heart and his fellow employees loved to hear him laugh. There was nothing that Sandy wouldn't do when asked for help with a customer's boat or when asked for help from any of our talented technicians. His unselfishness knew no bounds - even going as far as donating one of his kidneys to save a friend's life," the company said. "His charming and warm style made Lyman-Morse feel like a home away from home for our many customers. We know that our customers far and wide will feel the loss of such a wonderful person. Camden Harbor and Lyman-Morse will never be the same for any of us without Sandy."

From the Penobscot Bay Pilot:

According to Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Patrick J. Roberts, McGaw was alone traveling southbound on State Road 29 in Collier County around 1:15 p.m. when he encountered a northbound 2014 Ford Mustang.

The Ford's driver, Ashley Nicole, 22, of Jerome, Fla., was turning left into a driveway when she turned in front of McGaw, who was driving a 1991 BMW R1000GS motorcycle.

According to the accident report, McGaw was wearing a helmet and he attempted to slow and stop, which caused the motorcycle to overturn onto its right side prior to colliding with the car. McGaw then came off the motorcycle and slid into a grassy ditch.

He was taken to Physicians Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 3:10p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *