MIAMI, Fla. – The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) handed out its annual Innovation Awards, presented by Roger Marshall, vice president of Boating Writers International (BWI), at the International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference (IBEX) Industry Awards breakfast this morning.
According to Marshall, the products receiving Innovation Awards this year “…represent the leading edge of the marine industry and current level of innovation the people who work in this industry can achieve.”
The Innovation Awards program, organized by NMMA and judged by selected members of Boating Writers International (BWI), recognizes those products that best meet the following criteria: innovative distinction from other products currently being manufactured; entry at IBEX for the first time; significant impact for the marine industry and/or consumer; practicality; and cost-effectiveness. In addition, the product must be in production within one year from the presentation of the award.
Winners were recognized this year in the following categories:
• Boatbuilding and Materials — Buff Magic from Yacht Brite
• Boatbuilding Methods — Wilson Pontoon Hulls from Wilson Distibution Inc.
• Marina Equipment –The Dock Tester by ESC Products
• Electrical Systems — The Solid Swith from Material Sciences Corp.
• Engines and Propulsion Systems — The Jet Pac from Outboard Propulsion Systems
• Furnishing and Fittings — The O’Brasive Sanding Disc from New Brasives LLC
• Hardware and Fittings — The Eez-In Ladder from Garelick Manufacturing
• Mechanical Systems — The Micro HPS Marine Refrigeration System from Glacier Bay, Inc.
• OEM Electronics — The Dealers Circle Management program
“It is the ambition and drive of these people that enable shows such as IBEX to display new and interesting products every year,” said Marshall.
Judges spent Sunday and Monday looking at entrants and learning about new ideas and innovations to develop a list of winners. These judges include: Jan Mundy, editor, D-I-Y Boatowner; Tim Banse, Motor Boating, Dockside; Jim Barron, senior tech editor, Trailer Boats; Lenny Rudow, tech editor, Boating; Rich Eyerdam; and Dean Clarke, executive editor Sport Fishing.
- For more of the latest news, click here.